Friday, August 3, 2018

The Strangest Thing Happened

I bought eggs today.  I BOUGHT EGGS TODAY.  Since we got chickens in 2012, I haven't had to purchase eggs from a grocery store.  In fact, there are many times when I'm overflowing with eggs and I'm gifting them like crazy.

 These ladies have been on strike.
 It's been well over 100 degrees for at least two weeks now with several days at the 110 degree level.
Apparently, heat of this caliber stresses them out.  When chickens stress out, they stop performing and sit around panting.
Something I wish I could do when I'm stressed out, but no way, Jose.  I'm still doing laundry AND cooking dinner daily.
This little ball of fluff doesn't even leave the egg box.  I think she's pretending to lay her eggs, but nothing every shows up. I kick her out as much as I can to get her to eat and drink but she just tries to bite the hand that feeds her.

So, without eggs arriving daily, I have had to buy eggs.  From a store.  The temperatures have cooled to an even 100 degrees and the nights are feeling a little cooler, so maybe eggs are on the way.

I've built them a small swimming pool in the back yard and they love it.  They spend most of their days around the pool getting their feet wet and muddy.  They mock me. 

I'm getting ready to make my yearly purchase of baby chicks that will start laying in February. Maybe these ladies will pick up the pace when they see replacements on the way.

Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment