Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Starting New

 I've been thinking about putting last year behind me and starting new in 2012.
Isn't that what we're supposed to do?
I mean, I do it every year, don't we all?
Last year wasn't necessarily hard, but it had it's ups an downs.
Lots of things didn't go a planned, but we got through it.
This tomato plant started out so small, and got a late start to boot.  Technically, he shouldn't have survived our record breaking heat this past summer.  He should have been producing these red tomatoes last June, but the heat nearly killed him.  We even left him for most of the summer thinking he would be gone when we got back in August, but through the care of our neighbors, he surprisingly survived.
He should have died a month ago, when we had a surprise frost.  He was very wilted, but Martin brought him inside and he sat here for three weeks.  Nothing seemed to change - in fact, we had discussed with Hayden about finally giving up and putting him in the garbage.
 Hayden decided not to give up on him and within two days, everything started turning orange.   These are the first ones harvested and they are going in a salad tomorrow night.  We are all a little surprised and happy.
That's kind of the way my year has been.  I've had several set-backs, but always felt like someone was watching over me.  That's how the Lord has blessed my life this year.  Honestly, nothing went as expected.  There were several moments of wanting to give up, but the Lord always sent someone along to give me a little care and I feel ready to take on this new year.  Peace comes in strange ways, but it always comes.  I am grateful for the knowledge I have of my Savior and His love for us.  The blessing of the atonement and the understanding that He never gives up on us comforts my soul.

Happy 2012, Everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am glad Hayden's tomato plant survived and he didn't give up! What a great ending!

    ReplyDelete