Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Finally, The Wrap Up

Like I said before, I could go on and on with all my photos of my vacation, but there has to be a limit and I have reached it.  We spent the next to last day at the largest regional market in our area.  I had wanted to see a real French flea market and this was as good as it gets.  We were visiting during the winter, so the flowers weren't plentiful, but these were gorgeous.
The market was huge, running on both sides of the main street in Arles.  One side was dedicated to food, the other to clothes, fabric and wares.
 I think the food intrigued me the most.
 I"m not even sure what these were.
This was our favorite spot.  Cheese, cheese and more cheese.  Yum.
 We bought roasted chicken here.
 The spices were unbelievable.  I got some vanilla bean that was phenomenal.  My back pack smelled like heaven.
 Last, but not least, we spent the afternoon at the old Roman Cemetery, Alyscamps.  Not your typical cemetery, but intriguing nonetheless.
 The dead were buried above ground in these beds.
 They were covered with these lids. Many had been removed or destroyed over time.
There were several buildings on the grounds.
 And monuments.


 This church was built much later, during medieval times.
The graves looked like art and we wandered through them for a few hours.

Even though Martin gets creeped out by cemeteries, he was fascinated with the old Roman way of life and culture.  I wish we had more time to spend among the dead and the living in France, but all good things must come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment